Well, I really don't know what to say about my first week of school. It has been an education--how's that for irony?
I don't know if it was because we started so early or what, but my kids are quite the little chatterboxes. They are great though and are really growing on me even after only four days. I didn't know if I was going to like second grade, but now that I'm here I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it. The kids are not as independent as I'd like, but what they lack in that department, they make up for in personality. I do have to say though that my enthusiasm is waning from my lack of sleep and 18 hour days!!! I just can't seem to catch up. I love the kids, even as hard as they are to manage 24 at a time. Right now I really just feel like I'm in a dozen different places at once. There is just so much to remember and do and know and . . . . My brain can't take much more. Not to mention trying to balance a full time job and taking care of a household.
So, I guess what you are all interested in hearing is the juicy stuff. Where do I start? Let's see (It's really not that exciting),
Monday actually went pretty well (either that or I've already completely blocked it out.) I was really nervous and as some of you may know, one of the traits passed down through the Bates family is loose bowels from nervous tension. (At least I think it comes from the Bates') Tiger teased me all the way to school that I was going to "poop my pants all day" Thank God (I literally did) my nerves calmed pretty quickly. Nothing a little PEPTO couldn't fix.
Tuesday, was a different story. I had two kids chasing each other around the room with yardsticks (don't tell my principal!) and another that fell and skinned his knee and chin on the playground (came in from recess bleeding everywhere). Oh yeah, and I had a grandma come after school asking if I put her grandson on the right bus because he didn't get off at the right stop. Personally, I think that after they get on the bus, they're no longer my responsibility. I asked him before he left me if he knew what he was doing and he said he did. What does he know, he's only seven!
Wednesday, I really didn't have any lesson plans for the afternoon, so I just made up a bunch of busy work to fit between all the pre-assessment stuff. That is going to be funny when I correct it! I don't think any of them were paying attention to the tests. Later in the afternoon, we did this team-building activity/get-to-know-you game called two truths and a lie. Let me tell you, they aren't very good at lying. One kid put "I like toast" down to try to fool me. Oh, well, they had fun and we got to know each other. The highlight of the day was when our new cubbies came. It was like Christmas. They are way bigger than I expected. I don't have any room to put them on the floor and they are too tall for the kids to reach on the counter. Oh yeah, I had 9 out of my 24 kids "pull-a-card" for misbehavior. Here comes Viola Swamp (from Miss Neilson is Missing for those of you who have never read it.)
Today went better than any other day this week. I didn't have to holler as much. My principal came in to chick on me for the first time since Monday. That's always a little nerve racking. All in all, I think I have to say that it was a success. I know I made the right choice for a career. I couldn't be happier. It was so satisfying at the end of the first day to hear "my kids" say—"you're the best teacher ever." I've been waiting a long time to hear that! I'm excited to get doing into the year and figure out how to do this teaching thing right.
My next challenge is going to be Back to School Night and Parent teacher conference. PEPTO anyone???
10 comments:
That's so cool that you're a teacher. It's funny that Carson's in your class. It's also funny that you have a son named Derek. My husband's name is Derek and they're even spelled alike. It's nice to hear from you again. This blog is nice because I'm in contact with people I haven't been in contact with in years. Good luck with the school year!
Well you made it through your first week! Congratulations!!! So now I know where the the "loose bowels" come from when you get nervous!!! LOL... I always wondered if I was the only one who suffered!! THat was too funny to read!! I hope you have a great first year teaching!! I hope Tiger starts to feel at home at his new school too!:)
Yay! You did it! Way to go! One week down and...how many more to go?!
I sent one of my kids off to Kindergarten and on the bus for the first time. My stomach started to hurt a little. Was that my inherited nervousness? Something I have never thought of before!
Congratulations to you KT. "Mrs. Thayn". I have thought about you all week and I'm so very proud of you. You are going to be a wonderful teacher and if you need any help with anything let me know. I would so like to come and see your classroom. I'll be following in your footsteps. Not going to be a teacher but it's off to school for me soon. I'm excited. Tell your sister Heidi that I'd like her email address. "Hey Heidi". if you see this. what's up? CONGRATS CONGRATS to you again. Cindy
I'm sorry your nervous inheritance paid you a visit on your first day, but I'm glad I always have Pepto on hand. It saved the day. Relax, give yourself some time you'll be a great teacher, mom.
I forgot to tell you that I have that same nervous problem. It made running cross country very difficult, lol! I didn't know anyone else had it, but now I know where I got it.
I didn't realize that the "nervous poopies" were such a widespread problem. Since I posted this, I have decided that it is merely a human trait, not an inherited one! It runs on all sides of my family, not just the Bateses. How funny that we all made a connection with such a distressingly comical part of life. I guess it keeps things interesting!
Hey, I didn't get the nervous bowels. What happened? Sound like you had a good first week. I don't know how you do it. How is is having Carson in your class?
I don't get the nervous bowels either, but im not complaining. lol. It must be the "other sides" problem. haha. So, i gotta ask, is my son one of your students that got a "card" for misbehaving?
You would have got a note home if Carson had to pull a card. For the most part he's pretty quiet, especially compared to the rest of my kids! He's been fun. He was cute when he brought his "all about me sack" last week.
Post a Comment